Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Strawberries and fennel

I have a strawberry! Well I had a strawberry, I ate it. It was delicious! Warm and juicy. Perfect.










I have been eying a recipe for fennel slaw on Sunday Suppers. I finally got around to making it last night. It was fantastic. I have put off making it because it takes some advance prep, the recipe calls for pickled red onions.










I happened to have almost all of the ingredients on Monday for the onions so I made the recipe with some alterations (a cut up jalapeno instead of thai chili, half red wine vin and half distilled vin). They are great. The onions keep for about a month in your fridge and can be used in a variety of ways: on sandwiches, crostinis, fish tacos, chicken....

The recipe after you make the onions is very simple. Shaved fennel, pickled onions, golden raisins soaked in hot water, lemon juice, salt and pepper, mint and toasted hazelnuts (I used blanched almonds because that is what is in my pantry.) I also added a bit of olive oil. So good! Not to mention my excitement to use my mandolin and mint from my garden! We devoured the whole bowl and fought over the last bite. I won. We had lime cilantro sweet potatoes and grilled chicken. The sweet potatoes were a bit over done because my sweet was late. Though chard the taters were still tasty. Click on the Sunday Supper link above for the fennel slaw recipe. It is seriously tasty!

2 comments:

  1. love the pictures! could you be presuaded to bring a jar up to the mountains with you next time you visit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes or we can make some. Get a gynormous red onion (about a 1lb). I bet you have everything else in your pantry.

    ReplyDelete